Blaise's AR Studies Article
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 10

Blaise's AR Studies Article
Posted on Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:34 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

It appears that Blaise failled to mention the cuts he was using, or if this held any significance at all to the AR's. I seem to distinctly remember an article on Hoodoo by.. Drax? ...anyway, in it, he detailled his escapade with finding out how his weave tightness varied by what he used to cut the rings.

Submissions: 45

Posted on Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:51 pm

Blaise can back me up on this one, but I believe he was using a shear cutter (i think they were Knipex shears... not cobalts, but the shear version). He had to reform each ring once cut, and the AR quoted (3.0) is the post-shaping, so that's what works well for Hoodoo. Very Happy

Submissions: 93

Posted on Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:25 am

Yup, all shear cuts. That way the ends match flush, and you don't have to worry about where the pionts of the cut should come together.

Specifically, I use a Felco C7 cable cutter.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Posted on Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:16 am

The point I was making is that perhaps he should put that information in the article, so that anyone attempting to recreate his results will not be confused... Unless it's already there, and I simply missed it. In that case... good work...uh.... carry on...

Submissions: 93

Posted on Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:08 am

The point of the article is, we don't want to have to rely on specific production methods, we want the actual finished values.

That's why:

"
4. Hold aside five unwoven rings from the same batch, and close them in the same fashion as those in the weave sample.
5. For each ring, determine the wire diameter using as accurate a device as possible, usually a caliper capable of measuring in units of at most 1/100th of an inch (1/100th is preferable), or the metric equivalent.
6. For each ring determine the approximate inner diameter, as outlined above, using the same measurement device as in the previous step
"

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Posted on Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:39 pm

Ah. I was confused. Cool.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1