Steel Coating
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Steel Coating
Posted on Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:03 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello agian, I am making a piece of Jewerly for a friend, but he breaks out from just about any metal he contacts, baby silver, silver, gold, steel, copper, Ti, so i was wondering if there was any durable coatings that someone would reccomend for a stainless steel necklace ?

Submissions: 28

Posted on Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:31 pm

do you mean like coating it with a plastic coating? or are you looking for some sort of metal? if you are looking for a metal, does he break out with surgical stainless? some people can break out with certain grades of Stainless. the only other metal i can think of would be platnium. its supposed to be one of the most non reactive metals.

Arthur: Let's go somewhere.
Trillian: Where'd you have in mind?
Ford: I know this great restaurant at the end of the universe

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Posted on Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:53 pm

Sorry I wasn't specific, by coating I was thinking a clear coat, or something that would not obscure the color's of the metals used, so far the only jewelry he can wear is coated with something, I am unsure about platinum, maybe you have a point there however. Yes however srugical stainless does make him break out.

Submissions: 28

Posted on Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:02 pm

i found this product for ear rings that's supposed to block the reaction. it might work but its 8.50 a bottle.
http://www.earringdoctor.com/reaction.html

i did a google search for: hypoallergenic coating
it gave a good number of sites. the one above is just one of them

and platnium will be expenisive so if you try it and it doesn't work, you're gonna be kind of stuck.

Arthur: Let's go somewhere.
Trillian: Where'd you have in mind?
Ford: I know this great restaurant at the end of the universe

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Submissions: 4

Posted on Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:43 pm

he reacts to Ti? isn't that supposed to be hypoallergenic, since they use if for fake knees and spinal cords...?

maybe you can use a different Ti alloy..?

~Mad

"the chickens sure are singing tonight"
"they sure are charlie, they suuuuure are..."
-sakredchao, A Discordian Fairy Tale

Submissions: 2

Posted on Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:16 am

The Mad Mailler wrote:
he reacts to Ti?

You took the words right out of my mouth. I know people react to the nickle in stainless, and most everyone reacts to copper, but TI? According to every medical reference I could find, all grades are hypo-allergenic. Oh well. I'm not going to doubt you as your friend should know what he is allergic to.

As for a coating, keep in mind that anything applied to the rings will wear off eventually due to the nature of maille. If push comes to shove, you can always try enameled copper. Best of luck!

Posted on Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:26 am

Thank you guys for the reply's, I know he reacts to Ti, because I made him a ring, and about 6 hours later he had a rash around it. I know he has a weird Dermatitis, so maybe that is why he reacts to metals, if that's it, maybe an implant would be different because it would not contact the skin, just a thought. I'll try what mithrilmailler listed, thankyou for the search, I'm not sure i knew what to look for as in a finish, thankyou for your research.

Sentilnal

Submissions: 74

Posted on Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:49 am

has he tyded Niobium, like TI it supost to be Hypo'

and you could get the pice clear electo plated, it expensive to do but it will last a long time and he should not react to it. (you could go to like ITT and have it done by a fried if you have one there, but ??)

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:14 pm

The Mad Mailler wrote:
he reacts to Ti? isn't that supposed to be hypoallergenic, since they use if for fake knees and spinal cords...?

maybe you can use a different Ti alloy..?

~Mad

I think you meant they used Ti for knees, and plates to fix or fuse the spine, Ti is a great metal, but it can't replace the spinal cord. Coif LoL

Ti is suppose to be hypo-allergenic, but anyone can be allergic to anything, or to things on the item. (paints or protectants?)

Some people can be so sensitive just the change in enviroment can cause a break out.
(I work with a Derm clinic, and an ortho clinic.)

Chain Armorer, apprentice
Chain Jewelry, professional(I got paid for chain!)
SCA Wilhelmus Pilgramm

Submissions: 74

Posted on Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:45 pm

yup yup i have a odd ball alergy to metal to but just one (that i know of) GOLD i can't ware gold. but that is fine with me i don't like it anyhow.

another metal you could try is inconel it mostly a nickle alloy. heavy tthoug realy heavy more so then steel and iorn i belive.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 16

Posted on Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:15 pm

Zirconium is sposta be compleatly noreactive and what about aluminum?

Submissions: 25

Posted on Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:13 am

You can't be alergic to zinc. If you are, you die in the womb.

You can get zinc plated steel links (square cross section from armchair armoury) I think they do international. The owner is a good bloke he can send you samples, tape a link to your friends skin for a few hours and see what transpires. Human testing we love it.

Posted on Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:57 am

you dont touch the zinc ... you touch the thin layer of zinc oxide or zinc hydrate that covers the zinc.
Same with aluminum .... people can be very reactive to both.
although if he is reactive to all metals .... its probably (at least partially) psychosomatic.

Submissions: 14

Posted on Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:06 am

Niobium is supposed to be the most hypoallergenic metal out there, and Ti is pretty good too. It may not be the metal itself though, It may just be a heat rash type thing from it covering the skin. My ex girlfriend got that all the time with rings of any metal.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1