Dragonscale ring sizes
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 1

Dragonscale ring sizes
Posted on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:00 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I have yet to do an actual Dragonscale, and am contemplating putting in an order from TRL for an assortment of AA rings in numerous colors. Thing is, I want to be sure that the ring size I have selected will work together.

I'm looking at the 18G 5/32" for the smalls, and 18G 1/4" for the large. Now the tutorial text states that the small ring must fit inside of the large ring. Not having any of the actual rings in hand to give it a try, I resort to some math. The 5/32" rings are listed as actual i.d.= 0.163" and the 18G=0.048" wire diameter. That should give me a theoretical outside diameter of a little over 1/4" (0.269"). TRL states the 1/4" rings have an actual i.d.=0.26", which theoretically makes the small rings 0.009" too big to fit inside the 1/4" rings.

Anybody tried these two products together and had a successful, nice looking Dragonscale come out of it? Should I resort to a different guage/diameter to be safe?

Thanks for any help or comments in advance.

Submissions: 150

Posted on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:25 pm

The 5/32" to 1/4" combination would not work, except wire with an insanely high springback were used for making the rings, to reach the minimum small-ring AR. But that isn't the case for TRL rings. So while the AR difference in your ring combination were ok, the small-rings were simply too small to fit four large rings through them.

But 18swg 3/16" + 18swg 5/16" would work for making a fairly loose Dragonscale. In combination with 18swg 3/16" even 18swg 9/32" rings would work well, if they're available - at least I'd prefer them as large rings for a 18swg based, and tighter DS.

Maybe you should browse the listed Gallery entries attached to the weave for used ring data, to find one that you like.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:18 pm

This might help. It's from another thread about making DS from TRL stainless steel saw cut rings.
http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=16388&highlight=dragonscale#212249

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:03 am

Thanks for the replies, Zili and Lorraine. I'm just not seeing a good combination of TRL AA rings to use for Dragonscale at all. I picked up a whole bunch for coated brass rings yesterday at the Gem Faire, should keep me busy with some other weaves for awhile, and maybe I can find a combination of those that will work for me (in DS). Meanwhile, I already know the sizes I got will make awesome Full Persian 6 in 1 and Byzantine chains.

Again, thanks for the replies- I had a rather large order saved to a cart, and decided to post before buying- real glad I did.

Also- apologies for posting in wrong forum ;-(

Submissions: 79

Posted on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:17 am

the way i test DS is to take 2 springs of the same gauge and slide one inside the other, if it fits -and- the smaller ring will make e4, it will work.

if you are working in multiple gauges this trick does not always work.

since you are working in pre-made rings and not making your own, just take 2 rings and close them. if you can lay them on the table, one inside the other, you're golden.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Necro thread resurrect
Posted on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:51 am

Well, again, I appreciate the responses I got 7 months ago, and I think I got things sorted out, pics attached. I ended up using TRL AA 2018 green 1/8" rings, and the size on the rhodium-plated brass larger rings is bastardized on the packaging. suffice it to say they are 6 mm ID and 1 mm wire thickness for an AR right at 6.0. Overal length right now is a bit over 7 inches with the clasp, and ring count (without the clasp attaching rings) is right at 999.

Comments and criticisms welcomed.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:57 am

It looks beautiful! I'm glad you came back to show us. Most people never do. Lots of rings, huh? Very Happy

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:10 pm

i really like that with the green, did my dragonscale bracelet with plain brass and aluminium but looks much nicer with the green rings.

Thanks
A Rose Designs
www.a-rose-designs.co.uk

Submissions: 36

Posted on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:02 pm

I love the choice of colors as well. Nice job!

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 11

Posted on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Shiny! Very Happy As the others have said, it looks really nice. Smile

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1