Question for inlay
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 36

Question for inlay
Posted on Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:00 am || Last edited by MusicMan on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

I am looking at doing one of my first inlays and I was wondering if I can get your input. I am looking at doing a traditional e-4-1 weave with ring of about ID 1.26 and WD 4.5 using brass and stainless steel, blackened or normal.

Here is the inlay I am hoping to do:

Here are my questions.

1. would this ring size be good for this inlay?
2. would the pattern be visible and clear on an inlay of 1 foot by 1 foot?
3. would someone be able to suggest the best way to map the inlay out? I use a mac and unfortunately a lot of the program helps won't work.

Thanks for your help.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 84

Posted on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:40 am

AR 0.28 ? are the ID and WD switched? AR 3.5 makes sense. I'm just eyeballing the design and doing some quick math. If you mean 4.5mm you are going to really lose those nice circles unless you go alot bigger then a foot. I know the 16 petals probably has some significance but you'd have better luck with 8 or even 6 petals.

Posted on Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:35 pm

djgm wrote:
AR 0.28 ? are the ID and WD switched? AR 3.5 makes sense. I'm just eyeballing the design and doing some quick math. If you mean 4.5mm you are going to really lose those nice circles unless you go alot bigger then a foot. I know the 16 petals probably has some significance but you'd have better luck with 8 or even 6 petals.

Now that is what happens when you do things late at night! Laughing
Yes, the ID and WD are switched.

With the design as it stands. (it is the patch for a martial arts I am studying and I was going to make it for my instructor on his promotion)

what would be a good ring size for a 1foot by 1 foot.
Using that ring size what size would it have to be?

This is why I have never done inlays before. I pick to complex a design and I never get the ring size correct.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 150

Posted on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:01 pm

MM I made a test render using your ring data, on a 64x64 grid - that should finish a slightly bit smaller as a foot squared.

Raw (source image, resized, color standardized, black made a bit brighter to be rendered well, core simulating aged Copper, border brass, saved as .GIF image, to be fed into igp2gov) - as you see in the resulting render, some 'pixel-pissing' (ring color exchange) here or there may be needed to get better pattern borders.

Result (rendered in PovRay)

Hope that helps - the image(s) can be provided in other resolutions if needed/wished - just the resize grid of the original image had to be adjusted to adjust inlay size - the one shown here would use around 4000 rings...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:25 pm

Wow ZiLi you are amazing. Surprised That is exactly what I was hoping it would look like not real tight, but tight enough to see the pattern. You did such a great job. I wish I had the computer skills and computer so that I could do it myself Sad If you don't mind I would love to use what you have done to make my inlay.

Now I just need to get together the materials, make the rings and start weaving.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:08 pm

With this inlay I am looking at using Parawire but I cannot find out any information on the wire.
Has anybody ever used their wire for an inlay?
Would the rings hold together under the weight at the size rings and inlay I propose?

Thanks for your help again

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:23 pm

At an AR of 3.5, using Parawire's 16g AWG (1.26mm) wire, you shouldn't have any problems. I have some and in that size and AR it's pretty strong. Going to be expensive though...

Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:27 pm

thanks affinityofmist! good to hear from you.

I was just noticing that it was rather pricey, I was trying to find a way of making it lighter. I just may do the black in parawire seeing as TRL didn't have much in stock.

Thanks again for the input.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Submissions: 150

Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:39 pm

Hmm. Not being a Parawire guy I cannot help you with this question. But once the real ring data are known (wire dia, FINAL ring ID), we can redo the maths, and I can resize the raw image again and re-render then, to a bit higher, printer-friendly resolution, maybe even with shaded guide lines added, so all fits well.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Thanks ZiLi. When I get the wire for the project and have the real data I will take you up on your offer.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:00 pm

I've used parawire pretty extensively in inlays...but sadly not their 16 ga, just 18, 20 and 22. It's been fine...except that when I started, I didn't think about the size difference between their 18 ga and TRL's BA 18 ga. LOL.

Posted on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:39 pm

ZiLi wrote:
...once the real ring data are known (wire dia, FINAL ring ID), we can redo the maths, and I can resize the raw image again and re-render then, to a bit higher, printer-friendly resolution, maybe even with shaded guide lines added, so all fits well.

-ZiLi-

I am over half way done with the inlay I forgot you offered this, (it would have been so much easier if I would have remembered) but I figured that I would give everybody the stats that I have anyways just in case you wanted to do something similar. I am using all 1 - 1.2mm wire and getting an AR of 3.2 (if I remember correctly). I will try to post a picture of the progress some time soon.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1