Artistic Wire
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 36

Artistic Wire
Posted on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:32 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

has anybody ever used wire from a company called "Artistic Wire"? I was thinking on using it for an inlay, but I have never heard of it and was wondering if 1.0 mm of this wire would hold up.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:26 am

It's usually the stuff sold in places like Michael's. It's soft wire with a color coating, like enameled copper. The middle doesn't look to be copper though. Maybe some soft aluminum? A small inlay may hold up. A large one... I don't know if I would trust it.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 3

Posted on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:40 am

I prefer it over parawire...consistant and durable, it is enameled copper, tons of colors, especially like the silver-based bright colors-

Bought 4 1lb spools of silver 20ga from parawire about 3 yrs ago....stuff was shedding a thin layer of, what? probably a thin plastic protective coating, oh well, sent back and got the same stuff again, sent back, and again the same pealing, rotten stuff....haven't ordered from them since-

Having a Helby-Beadsmith wholesale account, I get artistic wire for about 1/4 retail....might have something to do with my preference also...

Hey, how've you been John? The book project looks good, no thanks to me....you've done a bunch of really neat stuff there....

Kodiak-

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong". -H.L. Menken
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." -Dorothy Parker
Chaincraft Mandrels

Posted on Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks for the help.

Lorraine - I saw it at our local Hobby Lobby and as a new product I wanted to get some opinions. With the small ring size I plan on using I think I may give it a try. Thank you for your insights.

Kodiak - I am glad to hear that you are still around. I have missed you. The book project is going slowly, but I hope that I have been able to put some useful and quality stuff on there for people. I get people that request to write a couple times a year, but it never really pans out to much. So until the topic is revived by others I just keep on plugging away. Smile

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 11

Posted on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:53 am

Book project? *perks up*

Posted on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:29 pm

Yes, a book has been started by members of MAIL and has been in a rather dormant stage for a little over a year. Here are some links as to the discussion of the book and than a link to the book site itself. We are always looking for new and knowledgeable members to contribute. Look under "Rough Draft" to see the actual book and the other things are discussion and practice pages that are helpful and useful to the book.

Please joint us! I would love to get this thing started again.

Here is a link to the discussion:
http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=8093
http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=16213
Here is the book site:
http://chainsmith.wetpaint.com/

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Submissions: 0

Enameled Copper
Posted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:59 pm

Most of the enameled copper wire & rings for sale online are from Artistic Wire. They used to be their own company, but Beadalon bought them out about a year or so ago.

I use it as an accent on jewellery and for inlays. As it is soft copper though, I find you have to use small rings, larger ringed projects I've tried just don't seem to hold up. It does make beautiful bracelets & earrings & pendants. It's great to add to steel or silver projects as a colour accent.

Oh, might as well buy your Artistic Wire or enameled copper online from copanies like The Ring Lord so you don't pay through the nose.. Uber

Submissions: 20

Re: Enameled Copper
Posted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:09 pm

Dranemra wrote:
Most of the enameled copper wire & rings for sale online are from Artistic Wire. They used to be their own company, but Beadalon bought them out about a year or so ago.

That would probably be an incorrect assesment... You'll likely find that a lot of suppliers use Parawire...
Not knocking Artistic Wire, but in my experience a large quantity of the product I end up finding seems to be repackaged Parawire

On another note... Another Menard?!?!?!?! Coif LoL
Lorraine is going to be sooo happy Smile

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 106

Re: Enameled Copper
Posted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:56 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
On another note... Another Menard?!?!?!?! Coif LoL
Lorraine is going to be sooo happy Smile

How did I miss that? *waves at the other Menard*

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Uber
Not often someone picks up on my name like that.
I'm also noting my typos are really bad today, the curse of doing forums while I'm at work in French Tech support. Wink

My family is from Montréal where there are a lot of Ménard. Razz

Posted on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:46 pm

I'll knock Artistic wire. The quality used to be great. The company that made the great wire closed the plant and Beadalon went to inferior supplies in Pakistan, India and the US. I stopped buying artistic wire - prices went up and quality went down - very bad double whammy.

TRL will be increasing selection of our new anodized and cutting back on enameled copper.

Jon Daniels
The Ring Lord
http://www.theringlord.com

Submissions: 11

Posted on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:50 pm

Hmm, that's good to know but sad to hear it. I personally haven't had a problem with Parawire yet except that they're a bit more expensive. I've made several orders from them for some inlay projects.

Posted on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:50 am

I've noticed that some of the colours of Enameled copper have gotten darker, and was wondering if you'd had changed suppliers.

Over all I don't need colour rings in copper, just really need the silvered copper. The rest can be any metal at all.. and - like I mentioned in another post - copper rings just don't stand up wear & tear.

Posted on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:32 pm

Thanks for the info Jon is it always nice to hear the background of a company and seeing as you do a little work in ring making, JK, you would be in a position to know. Thank you.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Posted on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:35 am

ppl might try Helby-Beadsmith, @ http://helby.com/ not sure what their account requirements are these days...true wholesale though, can't hurt to try, call em-

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong". -H.L. Menken
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." -Dorothy Parker
Chaincraft Mandrels

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1