Gripe with DHL
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:53 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Well, yeah of course it depends on where you live. I am maybe only lucky to live not to far away from a main delivery point. there's always to sides of a coin.

Submissions: 243

Posted on Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:58 am

I had a very bad experience with DHL last year.

I bought a mail shirt at auction in Germany in early May. It shipped pretty promptly and made it all the way to Ontario in less than a week, where it sat at the depot waiting for customs clearance because DHL didn't coordinate the delivery properly with Canada Post. It sat for two weeks and was finally ready to go just when the Canada Post strike started in June, needless to say I didn't get it until mid July.

And this is not just any shirt, this is an early 14th Cent. european byrnie with solid/wedge riveted rings and a very fine mesh wedge riveted 15th Cent. collar, all in tempered steel. I was lucky to find it at all, it's not like I'd ever get the chance to find another one. That was 10 weeks of sheer torture.

http://www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Submissions: 150

Posted on Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:49 am

Well, DHL tends to be good in the transportation and logistics part of the job. But they have done some (hmmm) 'sub-optimal' choices for the delivery part, and interfacing problems with contractors that somewhat damage their once very good reputation. This is not only visible for international shipping, where DHL (formerly Deutsche Post/Bundespost) had always to rely on partners, but more and more also in its core market Germany. As long as they had the complete delivery chain in their hands, they were absolutely reliable - nowadays, relying on contractors for the final delivery part of the job, more and more problems emerge.

In the meanwhile carriers that have a stonger hold also on the delivery part of the job (like e.g. UPS), gain a stronger market position, and other, formerly less reliable carriers catch up - not only because they become better, but also because DHL becomes worse.

Eric: In your special case I'd but the blame on Canada Post - DHL delivered at the customs, that are the standard 'interface point' for transnational deliveries. The remainder was imho a local problem.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:25 pm

I don't think Canada Post is the only one to blame there, but it is hard to jugde without knowing what went wrong to trigger the first delay - but the strike is another matter, DHL can not be blamed for that.

Can'd imagine the stress you went through, I would go nuts...

Submissions: 150

Posted on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:06 pm

Well I usually have to blame customs, if something delivered to me hasn't arrived within 10 days or so - usually a call to the local customs office starts the search then, and usually my goods are in one of the offices, that are scattered over Germany - I HATE customs that are incompetent, and found only a few exceptions. BTW the longest customs odyssee of some goods shipped from USA to me lasted more than 3 months - after having entered Germany 2 days after they were shipped... So don't always blame the carriers.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2