including files in articles
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 266

including files in articles
Posted on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:40 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Where do we stand on including files within an article. The reason I ask is a member of m.a.i.l. has created some programs that are cgi. Can these be put somewhere on m.a.i.l. and linked to in the article?

Tell a mailler what ring sizes to use and they'll weave for a day. Teach them AR and they'll weave forever.
Chainmailbasket.com (2013-11-23)
152 + 13

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:50 pm

Would it be something like the things that are on the Downloads page?

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:31 am

CGI scripts, which I assume is what you are talking about, are a very risky engagement, as they essentially have unsupervised read/write access to the entire server.

Provided they were written in Perl, I would be able to debug them and do a fairly thorough check... But any and all inclusion of server side scripting would needs to be vetted on an individual basis.
CGI/Perl scripts can also rely heavily on other installed modules that may or may nor be present on the server...

Final yay or nay would need to rest with either Blaise or Myself, as the potential for harm from an even innocuous script (due to a long running thread, or hang) can potentially seriously put the server in jeopardy... And that is not even including possibility for malicious injection by a third party into the script at runtime.

I know this all sounds very serious and dire, and has the potential to offput said user... And for that I apologize... But I must put the server and MAIL first.

I'm very hesitant to say anything based on hypothetical information... Any user seriously interested in providing a script to MAIL should contact me directly.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 9

Posted on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:04 am

Hi, I am the user in question. These are two very very simple cgi scripts in Perl that simply accept a few numbers and then output a table of numbers. One is for calculating the rings per row for making spheres with kingsmaille, and the other for tori (torii?).

There is also a weavemaker program that i would like to submit to the downloads section. I will contact Daemon_Lotus directly.

Les

p.s. ty for posting, Dave.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1