Opinions wanted on including copyright terms in tutorials
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 106

Opinions wanted on including copyright terms in tutorials
Posted on Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:37 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm asking this as a general member of MAIL and not as an admin.
If I were to put something like the following in the tutorials that I have posted, would it carry any legal weight?

You have my permission to copy and distribute this tutorial for teaching purposes as long as:
1. You DO copy and distribute the entire tutorial as written, including pictures.
2. You DO NOT remove the name of the website you copied it from.
3. You DO NOT remove my name as the author.
4. You DO NOT remove the copyright information or the terms for copying and distributing this tutorial.

I realize people do whatever the hell they want to do with things they find on the interwebs. But at least this would make it clear that I want and expect the tutorial to be used, with some provisions.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 34

Posted on Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:18 pm

I don't know if it would hold up in court, but I like the idea. It spells out in layman's terms what they can and cannot do with the tutorial. Than instead of someone saying "I didn't know..., I thought..." it has been spelled out to them. Yes, people could still edit it out, but you can than go back to the original to show that it was there.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:28 pm

Oh and also, I think I would put the name of the tutorial. For example:
You have my permission to copy and distribute this tutorial, titled "Jens Pind Linkage 5", for teaching purposes...

That would be to head off "Well, I saw that you gave permission to copy your tutorial. I thought that meant I could copy all of your tutorials." Or, "Well, I saw that lorraine's tutorials can be copied, so I thought that meant any tutorial from MAIL could be copied."

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 4

Posted on Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:50 am

I don't have any real legal experience, but I have seen similar disclaimers listed on pages from other sites, so I would imagine that it would mean something.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:35 am

To my knowledge, disclaimers are legal in every way, not disputable in court. Internet is held as an analogy to any printed media, books and magazines.
But the disclaimer should be situated in the article.

Since the tutorials are owned by the writer, I think it's only fair the writer can add further details on how the tut can be distributed.

Only one word can make me angry, and trust me dear, you can't pronounce it.

Submissions: 26

Posted on Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Some material I've read about privacy and non-disclosure disclaimers in emails leads me to believe that they're not entirely bulletproof, but generally help to deter minor infractions. Also, a disclaimer of this sort should be put at the top of, or inside the body of the tutorial, to prevent the "I copypasta'd the tutorial and didn't scroll all the way to the bottom to see the disclaimer" defense.

-phong, not at all an expert on this matter

Posted on Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Yes, definitely put the disclaimer at the top of the page. Many people, myself included, don't bother to read the bottom of the page most of the time.

Posted on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:01 pm

Another option may be to have it automatically done and put at the bottom of every page, inserting the name automatically. Many of the tutorials when you print them off are multiple pages so this would have the information in multiple spots throughout the tutorial.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:26 am

MM, that sounds like something that would be easy enough to do in a word processor, but I'm not sure about our article system. Also, what you suggest moves the disclaimer back to the bottom of the page where it is most likely to be ignored. Maybe it would work the way you suggest, maybe not, idk.

Submissions: 26

Posted on Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:29 am

It also isn't a guarantee that the disclaimer will be copied if someone copypastes the text directly into a word processor. :-/

-phong

Posted on Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:40 am

Vorondil wrote:
MM, that sounds like something that would be easy enough to do in a word processor, but I'm not sure about our article system. Also, what you suggest moves the disclaimer back to the bottom of the page where it is most likely to be ignored. Maybe it would work the way you suggest, maybe not, idk.

Phong wrote:
It also isn't a guarantee that the disclaimer will be copied if someone copypastes the text directly into a word processor. :-/

-phong

Both good points, neither of which I thought of. I was just trying to figure out a way that the person writing the article didn't have to embed it themselves, just fill in or click the boxes they wanted to apply and the site would do it for them. Just so things are uniform on all articles.

I do like the idea of including the information in the article, I think that it should some how be in a standardized format so all articles look the same.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:36 pm

You could use CSS to *trick* the browser into 'selecting' the text somewhere in the middle of the body... but that's dirty, dirty code...

As always... and I've said it before... deterrents like copyright notices, etc... only help against the unaware.
Those determined to copy your content, will find a way.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 74

Posted on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:34 pm

well DL you could make all text and images unselectable on the hole site.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 150

Posted on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:24 pm

(I know it's a semi-necro, but anyway...) Well there's a legal point, if an explicitly used technical hurdle has to be overcome to steal material (even a weak one like the javascript right-click block or similar counts here) - it's the same difference that exists between 'simple' theft and burglary - the possibilites to punish a data thief are much better then, once the theft is proven, as then the conscious circumventing of consciously set locks is proven as well...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1