Version 2.0 of Maille Code
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:24 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

That is awesomly helpful!

EDIT: It should be accurate now, I hope it reads 20ga to 14 ga 1/8 inch ID to 1 inch ID

The Tooth Fairy teaches kids to sell body parts for money.

Maille code
V2.0: T4.5 R3.2 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s Wm$ Cb G0.8-1.6 I3.1-25.4 N14.10 Pj Dcjt S06

Submissions: 150

Posted on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:54 am

Asherdelampyr wrote:
Ok, until I can figure out what 20ga 1/8 inch ID and 14ga 1 inch ID is in metric Ill leave it this way

Maille code V2: T4.5 R3.2 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s Wm$ Cb G0.8-1.6 I3.1-25.4 N14.10 Pj Dcjt X0 S06

ok, the G and I fields fit your given ring data Smile
A remaining correction is to repace V2: by V2.0
And the X field may be omitted as long as there is nothing to fill in

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:07 am

Does mine look correct?
Also, does the largest project mean largest completed project or can it be a work in progress?

Learn to value yourself, which means: to fight for your happiness.[Ayn Rand]
I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.[Ayn Rand]

Posted on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:26 am

Well, if your only project (besides maybe a couple hundred rings used elsewhere), was made of 3000 to 3999 rings, made from Galvy, in European (supposing you used your favoite weave to do that piece), and published the piece in the Gallery, then it looks ok - AFTER one obvious small error is corrected: You should add the letter "F" in front of eur...

About your 'largest project' question: I guess usually completed pieces are meant. But there might be an exception, like a maille shirt, that has reached a semi-finished, already wearable state. Its ring count can be used as-is, even if it is planned to add sleeves, and maybe lengthening later, or even already in the works. So I think, anybody who states personal statistics at all, should be honest, and post numbers (s)he can post with good conscience.

And a question: self-coiled or bought rings used? - as the largest project's size equals the total ring count in your code. And that info is somewhat contradictory, except as hinted above, only a maximum of a couple hundred rings would have been used for other pieces, and if they were made using other rings for making a second weave (made with a second wire diameter but using the same mandrel)...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

-'me

Posted on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:34 am

So I have 1 completed project which I did publish in the gallery, but it only has around 100 rings. I'm working on another small project which has a few hundred rings. Both of those I bought rings for. The large project I have I self-coiled the rings and it is currently up to around 3500 rings. All of them have the same ID, but different WD. Hope that clears it up.

And I just saw your answer to the incomplete project question. The large project is a hauberk, but it's still nowhere near done. So I changed my largest project.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.[Ayn Rand]

Posted on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:16 am

You shouldn't worry too much about the Maille Code - every one of us maillers was a beginner somewhen - and any one, even the most experienced one, did and continues to err sometimes - but as long as one is honest, there won't be any problem.

So I could maybe change my maximum count down from 5.6 to 5.5, as after some rework tailoring the ring count of my largest piece has decreased to ~59,000 rings now. But as it HAD ~61,500 rings when it originally was finished, I have no problem with, as it once was a piece that allows me to state R5.6 and be honest with.

-ZiLi-

-'me

Posted on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:37 am

True, true. I guess I just figure having a fully standardized maille code is a really good idea, so I wanted to make sure I was following it properly. Thanks for answering my questions. Smile

Submissions: 7

Posted on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:07 pm

Thought I'd have a stab at the Maille Code. Just posting to see if the sig comes out OK.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:15 pm

Well I think I got this correct.

Maille Code V2.0 T4.5 R3.5 Ef Fbyz MNb.a W$ C$ G1.6/0.8 I10.6/3.1 N7.6 Pj Dj Xg3 S10

Hmmmm. it keeps stripping off the link.

Maille Code V2.0 T6.2 R4.4 Ef Fe4.1 MRb W$ C$ G0.8-1.6 I2.4-13 N9.6 Pc Dcjs Xg12 S10

Happy to add a MAIL badge if someone wants to make it.

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2