Watermarking
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Would you like to see images on MAIL Watermarked "The Image (c) UserName"?
Yes
80%
 80%  [ 24 ]
No
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Undecided
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Other (Please leave comment below.)
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 30

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:42 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Legba3 wrote:
Daemon_Lotos wrote:
...We can't make banner ads using them, and post them on another site (Say, MWW)...

DL, has this happened, if so please tell me so I can deal with it?

Hmm?
Oh, god no Very Happy
Just using it as an example, as I couldn't think of any other sites running 'chainmail related' banner ads.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 36

Posted on Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Vorondil wrote:
[Why can't we do both? Prominent links may help our members or those who choose to visit our site and click on the links. But for those who might get the image without visiting us, these links/info won't give the same benefit. I don't see why this needs to be an either/or situation.

I agree with Vorondil on this point. Education is a good thing if there was someone who would be willing to write an article or series of articles that "in general populace terms" explains what copyright is, and how it involves things on the internet. Also possibly another article that explains step by step what steps should be taken when someone has broken that copyright and what rights you have.

But it is also important to protect our membership as much as can practically be done and I think that watermarking is one way to do that. Another option may be that on the site the pictures look normal, but when a picture is downloaded/exported/copied the watermark is placed on the picture. I don't know if this is possible though.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:07 am

*bump*

This is still on my list of things to toy with, I've just been a little busy with weaves of late...

I know this threads sorta of gone dormant... Has anyone else had any revelations or thoughts on this subject?

Reasons for/against...

Questions, comments, proposals to give me oodles of spare cash you all have in a box under your beds... (okay that last one is a little far fetched)

Useful Links

Submissions: 73

Posted on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:29 pm

I have mixed feelings about this. I certainly don't want content taken from MAIL and used without the owner's permission. But I don't know as MAIL has the resposibility to educate the public about copyright, or the obligation to bend over backwards to protect submitted content. That is, I feel the onus to watermark should be on the owner/submitter, not on MAIL.

I know there are rules limiting what's allowed on watermarks for weave/article images; a bit less so for gallery images. Still, if someone wants their content protected, they have the primary responsibility to take measures to do so.

If content were donated to MAIL (something I am in favor of for weave/article/knowledge database submissions), then yes, MAIL would be well within its purview to add a watermark. For legacy content, whose submitters are no longer around, it might be ok for MAIL to alter the content by adding a watermark.

But as the content policy/submission policy stands now, I don't think MAIL adding watermarks is the best solution. Which is to say, I don't think MAIL should start adding watermarks at the present time.

-phong

Posted on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:50 pm

Phong wrote:
That is, I feel the onus to watermark should be on the owner/submitter, not on MAIL.

I know there are rules limiting what's allowed on watermarks for weave/article images; a bit less so for gallery images. Still, if someone wants their content protected, they have the primary responsibility to take measures to do so.

The problem with allowing 'personal' watermarks, is you have to draw the line somewhere...
Some people would have no problem marking an image with their own name, some would prefer and online moniker, some would prefer a business name... It's a real slippery slope...

Okay, so what about having the option to 'Turn On' content protection, similar to the way DeviantArt operates... Only on a more global scale... 'Watermark my Weave Images' or 'Watermark my Gallery Images' type checkboxes in MyMAIL...
That way, it becomes the users choice to watermark, or to not watermark.
As always, the un-watermarked images would always be available to them. (And in some of the ways of implementing this that I've thought of, also available to other non-newbie MAIL members...)

Useful Links

Submissions: 150

Posted on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:24 pm

DL: If you can get that 'on-the-fly' watermarking working, it would be a suitable solution for everybody - especially if a submitter changes her/his mind somewhen - so that changes reflect the content owner's decision instantly. And so it's just an additional, 'service offer' provided by MAIL for its users.

But I would back away from marking existing and grandfathered contents, if a user wouldn't decide consciously for by setting the watermark flag in user settings. And I would avoid setting the watermark flag checked on default, if a new user account is created. As selectable option yes, as (deselectable) standard default no.

And in the moment such a watermarking option is given, there's a way to deny submissions that are watermarked already by the submitter.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 74

Posted on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:12 pm

i put a encoded mark on everything. visable it is not but having M.A.I.L. add one to each image dose not bother me. i only post what i am willing to share moslty. but people not asking to use them gets me erked to say the least. cuple of pro cons:

Pros
Good for looks of the site.
Save some people from adding them in post op. (time saver)

Con
Easly edited out
the code for adding them is readly avalible and easy to over come to dl with out it anyway. for those that have the know how.

(if a con is suposed to be the oposite of a pro. Dose that make the oposit of progress, congress?)

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 3. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3