Summary of Finances
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Fund Raising

Submissions: 36

Posted on Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:27 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I echo the opinion of paying Blasie back if he would accept. I also liked the idea of the theme contest winner receiving a shirt or something. It may help get more people involved (says the person who has only done 1 contest so far) *hangs head in shame*

I also think that using some of the money for enjancement is also an idea that would benefit the community as a whole.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 8

Posted on Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:27 pm

Definitely pay for services that MAIL has used, then ... maybe invest? use a portion of the funds to have some tee-shirts made and re-sell them for a profit? (I'd buy a couple!!!) I know MAIL is non-profit though, and I'm not really sure what that means in the way of how much capital and/or assets MAIL is allow to have on hand. Tee shirt proceeds could be used to fuel a prize that could be won by participating in the contests that DruidQueen runs.

Maybe we could buy a few more 'Emoticons' Rolling Eyes
Maybe we could buy a big fat "DONATE TO MAIL" button for the front page, for I also only knew that i could because of Legbas sig

If i think of more I'll post...

Hail to the king, baby.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:54 am

perhaps my idea of 'scholarship' isn't the same as the standard definition, whatever that may happen to be.

my thoughts were to make a gift to a metalworking student to assist in the ridiculous costs of going to college to learn anything. if it really is difficult to give money to a student for the purposes of education, shame on the government for nixing that idea.

if there really is some kind of hardware upgrade we can do, i am in favor, but i think we're paying for hosting so that someone doesn't need to set up a server..

as to gifts for the coders... coding is the most thankless tedium requiring hours of reading snarky memos from members. it is also the job which we would not exist without. in one way it might be considered burning money, but in another, 200$ in thank you gifts to 10 (or however many) people is really cheap for what we have received.

if we are going to track the insignificant amount of time (comparatively) that jon has put into accounting, we should track the huge number of hours our coders have donated.

i'm not trying to diminish the work jon does for us. he's one of the only people i feel comfortable trusting with access to the money here. i'm simply trying to draw a comparison between volunteered hours.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:37 am

sakredchao wrote:
if there really is some kind of hardware upgrade we can do, i am in favor, but i think we're paying for hosting so that someone doesn't need to set up a server..

Server purchasing and hosting is *really* not in our budget, not to mention the trouble this can cause. The only thing we could possibly do is upgrade our hosting package, from shared to semi-private, or switch to a more expensive host to increase performance.

Either of these are viable options, but perhaps not exactly a 'nessecity'... Though given the bog-down the site can sometimes achieve under heavy load, switching to a semi-private hosting package may bring some benefit... I will mull this over with Blaise if the membership seems seriously interested in putting funds towards hosting.

sakredchao wrote:
as to gifts for the coders... coding is the most thankless tedium requiring hours of reading snarky memos from members. it is also the job which we would not exist without. in one way it might be considered burning money, but in another, 200$ in thank you gifts to 10 (or however many) people is really cheap for what we have received.

if we are going to track the insignificant amount of time (comparatively) that jon has put into accounting, we should track the huge number of hours our coders have donated.

i'm not trying to diminish the work jon does for us. he's one of the only people i feel comfortable trusting with access to the money here. i'm simply trying to draw a comparison between volunteered hours.

Seriously... I'm not here for the guts and glory... It's mostly guts, I'm not going to lie Laughing I didn't offer to help out with MAIL for monetary gain... I earn plenty from the sites I do charge for... (Besides, I have a real job... Coding is a hobby... Something I'd planned to do for a living, but skipped out on so I didn't have to spend my entire life behind a desk.)

I can't speak for Blaise, but I'm fairly sure that he, like me, assists in the day-to-day running of MAIL as a way of 'giving back' to the community... I have a skill when it comes to coding, what better way to give something back to this amazing resource, than to help improve it using said skill.

</preachy>

Moneys? GIMMIE!!! Very Happy (Kidding)

While money will not grow in a PayPal account, and is therefore 'uninvested' it also won't lose value based on the fluctuations it todays (let's face it) dren economic situation.

If we have the money somwhere safe, and we don't need it right now, let it chill out there until we do need it Wink

My two cents.

Posted on Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:53 am

yeah, i read what you're saying...
but, if you had a shirt, would you wear it?

as for hosting changes/tiers, i have not ever noticed anything at this location that i'd be angry enough to do anything about.

Quote:

And I am/was participating member on a couple of forums, and on any of them that is/was it worth in my opinion, I willingly pay/paid my obulus. So now mailleartisans is on my personal list of these forums that are worth being paid for the services provided, while another one that went the commercial way, not only lost my money but participation as well. And that leads to my opinion that this money should be used in the first place to provide the possibility to remain noncommercial and independent.

and in response to zilis earlier comment. there is a long line of people in opposition to anything commercial being related to MAIL. this was a big opposition to MAIL opening a trading room with no commercial endorsements. this is one of the core principles which we founded MAIL under.

i may dance with the devil on occasion, but i will not be selling my soul.
i just like the sound of the fiddle, and those beating drums, they roll roll roll.

kim

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:29 am

sakredchao wrote:
as for hosting changes/tiers, i have not ever noticed anything at this location that i'd be angry enough to do anything about.

Wait until I try and do a database backup...
I've tried twice... Both times, the entire domain/database/everything became completely unresponsive.

(In short members, I have been directly responsible for MAIL being down, twice in the past few months)

Submissions: 243

Posted on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:54 am

sakredchao wrote:

i may dance with the devil on occasion, but i will not be selling my soul.
i just like the sound of the fiddle, and those beating drums, they roll roll roll.

That's pretty good, did you write that?

http://www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Posted on Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:50 am

lorenzo.. i guess you could call it "writing".
i made it up on the spot.

kim

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2