Graduated Byzantine necklace pattern
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 0

Graduated Byzantine necklace pattern
Posted on Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:25 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Does anybody have a graduated Byzantine pattern for a necklace that uses mm ID rings in whole and half cm sizes? I've got the Koil Kutter system and mandrels which start at 2.0mm, 2.5, 3.0, etc.

I've got Becky's pattern in "Chains", but the IDs are odd sizes like 6.1, 6.7mm, etc. Any suggestions? I've bought kits from Urbanmaille in the past, but know the pattern, can make my own rings and hate to spend the money right now if a pattern exists that I can use. Thanks for your help.

Current weaves: Byzantine, Turkish Round, Parallel, 3 in 1, Persian, half Persian, Box. Confused

Middle aged chick trying to stay out of trouble by keeping herself busy with chainmaille, jewelry and other harmless pursuits.

Graduated Byzantine necklace
Posted on Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:07 pm

Were you able to find a tutorial or at least the ring sizes for this weave? Just like you, I know the weave, just need a little help with which ring sizes to use.

Thanks,
Sherry

Posted on Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:12 pm

yes, I did. Spider from http://www.spiderchain.com/ helped me and it turned out beautifully!! I've got the sizes written down somewhere.... I think that spider is going to post a how to on her website, but I'm sure that you could ask her and she'd give you the sizes. (otherwise email me at scouncil@centurytel.net and I'll find them for you).

You can make it with her rings and it is stunning, or if you can make your own rings like I do. I bought the 15g and 17g from her (couldn't find 15 or 17 g wire anywhere for sale) and it is lovely with the mix of my and her rings. I have found the SS wire from http://www.metalliferous.com/ since I did the necklace. They have all gauge sizes. If you are using the imperial sizes, you basically take all of spiders recommended sizes for Byz starting with the 14g-18 or 15-19g and make about 3 full sections in the front (5 if you want to be REALLY bold) and then 2 or 3 sections of each gauge size on each gauge then finishing to however long you want it with the smallest gauge.

The big trick is that you have to have the connector rings (the 2 together that are folded in some way) between the gauges to be the bigger size rings. Meaning the center largest gauge has to end with the connectors of the same size where you connect the next size. Spider explained it a lot better. I use mm sizes and have figured out the sizes for that since my mandrels are metric that I use. You have to have the quarter size mandrels to make the rings for it (ring lord or Dave Arens makes them in the longer sizes). Susan

Nobody replied (other than you ) to my post, so I guess that either everybody knows, or nobody really cared. Spider is great and you can ask her anything and she'll tell you. Whether you buy anything or not. Her DVD's are really good too. Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

Graduated Byzantine
Posted on Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:12 pm

Spider has now made a page for her graduated Byzantine (birdcage) and here is the link- http://www.spiderchain.com/samples/project_maps.thtml

If you can't find it, go to her website, listed in the post above and search. It is a tester page right now, and I'm sure that the address will change when she officially puts it on the site.
Susan

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1